Want to take the next step in your Hockey career?
The IAS Hockey Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented hockey athletes by providing industry leading high-performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October and concluding in September. However, there is a heavier focus on the program from September through to state team selection trials in April. The aim of the program is to provide additional skill development on top of club or school-based training.
The program will provide coaching, training and competition to improve athlete development with a view to:
- Develop the fundamental skill level of athletes which will enhance their opportunities for selection into NSW AAP
- Prepare athletes to a level where their transition to any NSW State Team is ‘seamless’ in terms of programs or pathways
- Increase the level of success of those athletes at competition and events nationwide
- Provide education around athletic development as well as personal development in topics such as Nutrition, Sport Psychology, Media Skills / Public Speaking, Youth Leadership, Drugs in Sport
- Provide an introduction and progression into sport specific strength and conditioning
- The program will conduct weekly skills based and strength and conditioning training to which attendance is expected.
Alex Mackay, Head Coach
Thomas David, Assistant Coach
Ella Gibson, Assistant Coach
Kayleb O’Connor, Assistant Coach
Lucinda Preeo, Assistant Coach
Ellanora (Ella) Martin
To be eligible for an IAS Hockey Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region, Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and Wingecarribee local government areas
- Be a registered member with Hockey NSW through an Association within the Illawarra region
- Be between turning the age of 16, 17 or 18 during in 2022 (born in 2005-2007)
Athletes identifying as Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander are eligible to participate in the MCR Indigenous Sports Program (ISP). The ISP provides an opportunity for the IAS to provide mentorship and a dedicated level of focus upon the outcomes and support for Indigenous athletes.
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in hockey
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance
- Demonstrate potential to be selected for Hockey NSW state teams within 12 months
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence
NB: Subjectivity is an unavoidable element of selection to the IAS Hockey Squad.
Applications Close: 2 September 2022
Trial: 5 September 2022, 5-6:30pm, University of Wollongong
IAS athletes are required to purchase the IAS squad uniform, they also are required to contribute to additional components of the programs such as camps.