Want to take the next step in your sporting career?
The IAS is committed to providing equal opportunity for Para Athletes to achieve sporting excellence through the facilitation of appropriate sports development programs that support and enhance the athlete’s potential and sporting opportunities. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October and concluding September.
The IAS Para Sports Program (formerly Athlete with a Disability) is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions talented Para Athletes by providing industry leading high-performance sport development programs.
The Para Sports Program will provide athletes with an opportunity to engage high quality sports coaching, life skills and sports education curriculum, physical development programs as well as the opportunity to attend and participate in all Illawarra Academy of Sport functions. The program is open to individual and team athletes and their coaches.
Kurt Freeme, Head Coach
To be eligible for an IAS Para Sports Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside in one of the five local councils within the IAS catchment area. These include Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and Wingecarribee
- Considered disabled due to intellectual, psychiatric, cognitive (including both congenital and acquired impairments), neurological, sensory or physical impairment, or combination of impairments
- Be aged between 13 – 18 years of age during the scholarship period (born 2005-2010). Special consideration may be given to intellectually impaired athletes outside the eligible age up to 25yrs of age, subject to the approval of the IAS board.
- Be a registered member with a State Sporting Organisation (SSO) through an Association within the IAS Catchment area or The Disability Trust
- Be competing at a state or national level or have been identified by state or national organisations as a future representative athlete
Athletes identifying as Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander are eligible to participate in the MCR Indigenous Sports Program (ISP). The ISP provides an opportunity for the IAS to provide mentorship and a dedicated level of focus upon the outcomes and support for Indigenous athletes.
2022/23 Para Sports
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Affiliation to a sporting association associated with chosen sport
- Evidence of classification or ability/capacity to gain/ seek a confirmation of disability whether it is physical or intellectual
- Capacity to represent at State and National level within 12 months
- Display an ability to apply coaching and technical instruction
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance
2022/23 Para Sports
Applications Close: 26 August 2022
Athlete Interviews: 30 August 2022, 4:30-6:30pm, UOW Sports Lounge
Automatic qualification MAY be reached by achieving one or more of the following criteria:
- Previous selection in IAS AWD squad with satisfactory approval from Head Coach,
- Current participation in organised sport of choice at a representative level
- Head Coach recommendation from application of achievements
Further information for acceptance into the IAS Para Sports Program:
- Athletes must have a classification and be registered with their respective sport organisation/ federation.
- For team sport athletes they must be registered and playing in a team at a competition level not recreational.
- Athlete must have a level of independence where they can work alone for a period of 10 – 15 minutes in a gym setting. If not, they must have a carer with them.
Those athletes who do not achieve automatic may be invited to attend an interview. Those athletes selected to interview will be contacted after nominations close.
IAS athletes are required to purchase the IAS squad uniform, they also are required to contribute to additional components of the programs such as camps.