Want to take your Mountain Biking to the next level?
The IAS Cycling Program has expanded to include Mountain Biking, with the program designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented MTB athletes by providing industry leading high-performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October and concluding in September. The aim of the program is to provide additional skill development on top of club training.
The MTB program identifies both Endurance-based disciplines (XCC, XCO, XCM, XCEMTB, Cyclocross, etc) and the gravity disciplines (GE Gravity Enduro, DHI, 4 Cross, etc).
The program will provide coaching, training and competition to improve athlete development with a view to:
- The primary focus of the Academy program is to provide the necessary resources for riders to perform well at identified MTB events and ultimately at National level.
- Develop the skill level of athletes which will enhance their opportunities for selection into national teams/squads and the NSWIS program as scholarship holders.
- Prepare athletes to a level where their transition to the NSWIS (NSW Institute of Sport) squad is ‘seamless’
- Increase the level of success of those athletes at competition and events
- Provide an introduction and progression into sport specific strength and conditioning
- Provide education around athletic development as well as personal development in topics such as Nutrition, Sport Psychology, Media Skills / Public Speaking, Youth Leadership, Drugs in Sport
- The program will conduct weekly skills based and strength and conditioning training to which attendance is expected
To be eligible for an IAS Cycling MTB Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region, Wollongong, Shellharbour, Kiama, Shoalhaven and Wingecarribee
- Be a registered member of a cycling club affiliated with AUS Cycling
- Between the ages of 12 to 17 at the beginning of the scholarship i.e. 12-17 years old in October 2022.
Special consideration may be given to cyclists outside the eligibility criteria, subject to the approval of the IAS Board.
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Demonstrate through past performance and/or potential, the ability to reach or exceed a top 5 place at NSW Championships within 12 months
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in cycling
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence
NB: Subjectivity is an unavoidable element of selection to the IAS Cycling Squad.
Applications close: 12 September 2022
Trials/Interviews: 26 September 2022, 5pm-7:30pm, Unanderra Velodrome. All athletes to be notified of times. Interviews will be held for all cycling disciplines on this day.
Athletes who meet automatic qualification standards will be notified and not need to attend the trials/Interviews.
Automatic qualification can be reached by achieving one or more of the following criteria:
- Previous selection in IAS Cycling squad with satisfactory approval from Head Coach
- Head Coach recommendation from application
- Top 3 result at a state level competition or championship
- Selection in a state/national team
IAS athletes are required to purchase the IAS squad uniform, they also are required to contribute to additional components of the programs such as camps.