The program is open to male and female basketball players from bottom age under-14s (12-years) to top age under-16s (15-years) who are registered with a Basketball NSW affiliated association. To be eligible for an IAS Basketball scholarship athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region i.e. Kiama, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Wingecarribee or Wollongong local government areas
- Be a registered member with Basketball NSW through a recognised Association within the Illawarra region
- Be available for selection in an association based within the IAS local government area. i.e. make yourself available for association trials and representative programs
- Be competing in the U14 – U16 age groups in BNSW Leagues including: MJL, EJL, SJL, WJL, CPL or sanctioned events
- Athletes must be able to play in BNSW endorsed competition in U14 or U16 age group in 2020.
- Be born in 2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010
The IAS program is part of the BNSW athlete pathway and includes athletes in the Developing Athlete Program (DAP) and State Performance Plan (SPP). For further clarity, athletes who are selected to the State Performance Plan (SPP) are eligible for the IAS program.
Athletes identifying as Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander are eligible to participate in the MCR Indigenous Sports Program (ISP). The ISP provides an opportunity for the IAS to provide mentorship and a dedicated level of focus upon the outcomes and support for Indigenous athletes.