Want to take the next step in your Triathlon career?
The IAS Triathlon Program is designed to support the developmental needs of the regions young talented triathletes by providing industry leading high-performance sport development programs. Scholarships are offered for a 12-month period commencing in October and concluding in September. However, there is a heavier focus on the program from September through to Academy Games in April.
The program will provide coaching, training and competition to improve athlete development with a view to:
- Develop the fundamental skill level of athletes which will enhance their opportunities of progression through the TNSW Development Pathway into NSW squads and teams
- Prepare athletes for the listed NSW ITU Youth and Junior Development races, with a major focus on draft legal racing and the ultimate goal of athletes competing at the Australian Youth, Junior & U23 Triathlon Series
- Increase the level of success of those athletes at competition and events in triathlon races nationwide
- Provide an introduction and progression into sport specific strength and conditioning
- Provide education around athletic development as well as personal development in topics such as Nutrition, Sport Psychology, Media Skills / Public Speaking, Youth Leadership, Drugs in Sport
- The program will conduct weekly skills based and strength and conditioning training to which attendance is expected.
Benjamin Bell, Head Coach
Scott Ashcroft, Assistant Coach
Matthew Burge, Manager
To be eligible for an IAS Triathlon Scholarship, athletes must:
- Reside within the Illawarra Region, Kiama, Shellharbour, Shoalhaven, Wingecarribee or Wollongong local government areas
- Be a registered member with Triathlon NSW and with a club in the Illawarra region
- Be born in 2004-2010
Athletes identifying as Indigenous and Torres Strait Islander are eligible to participate in the MCR Indigenous Sports Program (ISP). The ISP provides an opportunity for the IAS to provide mentorship and a dedicated level of focus upon the outcomes and support for Indigenous athletes.
Satisfy the eligibility criteria and demonstrate the following qualities;
- Physical abilities and physical skills considered to be essential for eventual success in Triathlon
- Display an ability to apply coaching & technical instruction
- Display attitude, commitment and dedication to improving performance
- Demonstrate potential to be selected for NSW state teams
- The ability or potential to work as part of a team to achieve excellence
- All athletes are required to compete in the Tri NSW Billigence state series
- The potential to achieve Triathlon Australia standards of:
- Swim: 400m TT: Boys Youth 6min, Boys Junior 5:30, Girls Youth 6:00, Girls Junior 5:45
- Cycle: be draft legal / proficient in riding on rollers / Complete skills course without fault
- Run: 1500m TT
- Boys Youth 5:45min, Junior 5:15min
- Girls Youth 6:00min, Junior 5:45min
Applications Close: 9am 14 August 2022
Trials: 14 August 2022 (time TBD), Beaton Park. Athletes who nominate prior to the 14 August and meet automatic qualification standards will be contacted and not have to attend selection trials.
IAS athletes are required to purchase the IAS squad uniform, they also are required to contribute to additional components of the programs such as camps.