Each year our Golf Program continues to grow and develop through increased opportunities and training aids, and despite the significant challenges from COVID-19 the 2019-20 scholarship was no different! The IAS Golf Program again focused on the holistic development of the athlete through skill development, athletic movement development, performance, education curriculum, as well as competition strategy development. The development squad program was reintroduced this year to help give the younger less experienced athletes, the opportunity to develop their game.
IAS Golf 2020
Each year our Golf Program continues to grow and develop through increased opportunities and training aids, and the 2019-20 scholarship was no different! Well done to the 2019-20 Golf Squad for a great year!Thanks to Luke Grinham, Tahnia Ravnjak, Justin Clarke and Richard Harvey for their hard work coaching and managing the program, and to Golf Illawarra, Golf NSW and Jack Newton Junior Golf for their support. #teamIAS #IASproud #nostoppingIAS
Posted by Illawarra Academy of Sport on Monday, 21 September 2020
Congratulations to ETHAN HARVEY, the 2019-20 VIC BURROWS GOLF ATHLETE OF THE YEAR!
Ethan Harvey has continued to impress over the past 12 months, for the second year running has been awarded the IAS Golf Athlete of the Year.
In 2009 the IAS introduced the Vic Burrows Memorial Award honoring Vic who was the founding coordinator of the IAS Golf Program and devoted 10 years to ensuring the program was a success for aspiring young golfers of the region. The Vic Burrows Award for the IAS Golfer of the Year encompasses athlete development, encouragement and community engagement. The Vic Burrows Award is proudly supported by Golf Illawarra.
Ethan continually seeks to improve his skills not just on the golf course but as an all-round person. He is generous with his time and is always one of the first to put his hand up for any community involvement on offer from the IAS and has become an important cog in the running of the annual IAS Golf Day.
Despite COVID interrupting numerous competitions in 2020, Ethan still has an impressive array of achievements, including:
- 2019 Victorian Junior Championships – 7th Overall
- 2019 JNJG International Classic – T26 Overall, 7th U16’s & Nett Runner Up U16’s
- 2019 JNJG Fayde Match Play – Runner Up U16’s
- 2019 Kiama Golf Club Championships – Junior & Men’s Champion
- 2019 Jamberoo Junior Open – Winner
- 2019 Kiama Junior Masters – Winner
- 2019 Highlands Junior Classic – Winner
- 2019 The Lakes Golf Club Scholarship Recipient
- 2019 JNJG Brett Ogle Junior Masters – 7th Overall & 3rd 16’s and over
- 2019 Links Junior Open – T4th Overall
- 2019 Golf Illawarra District Champion of Champions – Open & Junior Winner
- 2019 Wollongong Junior Open – Winner
- 2019 JNJG Most Improved Junior Boy Golfer of the Year
- 2020 NSW Amateur Championship – 54th
- 2020 Wollongong Golf Club Foursomes Championships – Winner
“For a 16-year-old golfer to be playing in under 21 and Open age competitions and being extremely competitive is rare in this sport. For high level Golf Clubs like the Lakes Golf Club in Sydney to invite a 16-year old to join their open Pennant team speaks volumes for the ability of this young man,” IAS Golf Head Coach Luke Grinham said.
Congratulations Ethan, we will continue to follow your progress with great interest.
Thanks to Luke Grinham, Tahnia Ravnjak, Justin Clarke and Richard Harvey for their hard work coaching and managing the program, and to Golf Illawarra, Golf NSW and Jack Newton Junior Golf for their support.