Congratulations to RYAN BRITTEN, winning the BEN MIKIC AWARD for 2019-20 CYCLING ATHLETE OF THE YEAR!
The IAS has a history of developing excellent cyclists and Ryan Britten is no exception. Ryan has had an impressive run of achievements throughout 2019 and 2020.
Ryan’s major achievements include:
- Winning seven gold medals at NSW Junior Track Championships – including time trial, pursuit, sprint, scratch race, points race, tempo, keirin
- Receiving a NSW Institute of Sport Scholarship
- Selection in the Road 2019 NSW Junior Team
- Selection in the Track 2020 NSW Junior Team
- Gold medal in the NSW Country Road race 2020
- Gold in the NSW Criterium Championship 2020
- Second overall in U17 Men National Junior Track Series, this included three x 2 days of racing in Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne
Ryan’s IAS Cycling Coach, Mick Marshall described Ryan’s achievements at the NSW Track Championships as “some of the best I have witnessed in a junior athlete as this event”. Mick went on to say that Ryan has “demonstrated a commitment to the pursuit of excellence through hard work. He has improved in all facets of his performance & skills development and appears to be maintaining an upward trajectory within the Cycling Australia development pathway.”
Ryan is on the pathway to achieve success as a cyclist and we eagerly await to see what the future holds for this cycling talent. Congratulations Ryan!
Congratulations also goes to Tahlia Dole, Sarah Cliff and the entire cycling squad on a plethora of fantastic achievements!
The IAS Cycling Squad is one of our highest achieving programs, and despite many major events being cancelled in 2020 these athletes still produced tremendous results throughout the scholarship.
With athletes in all disciplines across the track, road and mountain, the IAS representatives won 3 National medals, over 20 state medals, had five athletes complete in NZ for the Southland Yunca Tour, and two athletes selected for NSWIS Scholarships.
Captain, Tahlia Dole credits the success to the pathways and opportunities the IAS has provided. Watch more below.